NATO and Norway are preparing for NATO’s biggest exercise in recent years. Trident Juncture 2018 will gather 50,000 participants.
The exercise will test the whole military chain – from troop training at the tactical level, to command over large forces. It will train the troops of the NATO Response Force and forces from other allies and partners, ensuring they can work seamlessly together.
- When: from 25 October to 7 November 2018.
- Who: Around 50,000 participants from 31 NATO and partner countries.
- Why: To ensure that NATO forces are trained and ready, display our collective capabilities and to show that NATO stands strong.
- Components: Around 250 aircraft, 65 vessels and up to 10,000 vehicles will be used during the exercise
- Location: Central and eastern Norway; the surrounding areas of the North Atlantic and the Baltic Sea, including Iceland and the airspace of Finland and Sweden.
- Objective: To ensure that NATO forces are trained, able to operate together, and ready to respond to any threat from any direction.
- Commander: Admiral James G. Foggo, Commander of NATO’s Allied Joint Force Command Naples, is responsible for conducting the exercise.
As the latest NATO ally, our country will participate and contribute to the Excerise with 33 members of Armed Forces of Montenegro.
The main part of our forces is the Infantry Platoon of 27 members, which will be part of Slovenian Company. The Infantry Platoon is from the composition of the First Infantry Company from Nikšić. All pertaining equipment is from the First Infantry Company, as well as four vehicles which are already been shipped for the Kingdom of Norway.The unit is equipped with all necessary equipment for extremely cold conditions and is ready for the execution of tasks on mountain terrains in cold conditions.
From the rest of six members, one pilot, logistics NCO, military police member will be in the composition of Slovenian squadron, Slovenian Logistic Company HQ, respectively Slovenian Military Police Company, while two staff officers will be in the Italian Brigade HQ. One officer will be in charge as Evaluator – Controller during the Exercise. By completing the activities during the Trident Juncture 2018, our army will raise the level of training, exchange experience with NATO allies’ countries, strengthen the cooperation and trust with its partners and adopt new NATO standards and procedures, necessary for increasing the operational capabilities.
Further information here:
On Trident Juncture 2018: https://forsvaret.no/en/exercise-and-operations/exercises/nato-exercise-2018
NATO official page: https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/157833.htm
Ministry of Defence of Montenegro official page: http://www.mod.gov.me/en/search/192653/Armed-Forces-of-Montenegro-sends-33-members-to-the-TRIDENT-JUNCTURE-18-Exercise.html